Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

You Preached A Lot Better

This past Sunday I preached in our annual pulpit exchange at a local African American church that our church has a long standing and cherished relationship with.  Every year I typically preach the same sermon I preached the week before in my own church.  This year one of our members happened to be in both services---the week before in our church and this past Sunday in the African American church.   He heard the same sermon both times, only the locations were different.  And after the second time around, he said (with a smile) "You preached a lot better this time."  And it was true.  I felt it myself.  What was the difference?   I would suggest it was the interaction and engagement of those sitting in the pews.    I remember years ago John Killinger wrote that many people ask, "Where are the great preachers?"  He said the better question is "Where are the great congregations?" and then summed it all up by saying, "Find the great congregations and you will find the great preachers."   In other words, preaching is hugely impacted by the congregation being preached to.   In the African American church they were encouraging me on, clapping even at times, saying "Amen" and building me up to where I got caught up in it myself.  I'm not advocating "Amens" and clapping in excess but I do wonder how can church members take seriously their own role in the preaching experience.  Any thoughts?   After all, the other 50 some Sundays I'd like to preach better as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment